-->

Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

~ chocolate dripped pastel nails tutorial ~

I did this nail look way back in the early spring and when I posted it on my blog a lot of people asked me how I did it and also for a tutorial so here it is! To be honest, this isn't much of a tutorial because I mainly followed Violet's instructions here!

~ supplies ~
These are the polishes I used for this look.

Sally Hansen Diamond Strength Hardener
Seche Vite Top Coat

Sally Hansen Insta-Dri - 08 Expresso
Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear - 340 Mint Sorbet
Joe - Butter
Joe - n/a <-- lost the sticker hahaha
Joe - Sugar Plum Fruit Confetti <-- love love love this colour~
Joe - Wave

Rounded piece of cardboard in cause you get polish onto your fingers, cuticles etc...

~ step 1 ~
Prep and paint your nails with a base coat. I would recommend using a base coat or at least if you're using dark colours and reds to avoid yellowing your nails. (which happened to me and it took forever to grow out)

~ step 2 ~
Paint each nail a different colour. Of course you can always just use one colour and I actually found this to be the hardest part since I'm so used to just painting my nails one colour. 

TIP: Unscrew each nail polish bottle so it's easy to take the brush in and out or else you might have a hard time getting them open with wet nails.

~ step 3 ~
Take your brown polish and make some long lines, about mid way to your finger. In Violet's tutorial she suggests that you make sure your polish brush is loaded and drippy with the product so it produces the drippy effect and thus produces a "round" bottom at the end of your line. Personally, this specific polish is really drippy already and along with the fat brush I found that I didn't need too much polish on my brush.

 ~ step 4 ~
Connect the lines together. I find this is where I need to products the drippy effect more, if not then the lines look awkward and not smooth. When you paint this section try to make sure that the brown polish is still wet on your nail so it will connect to each other smoothly. You can see a bit of a hard angle on the right of the nail, try avoiding this!

(sorry for the out of focus photo ><)

~ ta da ~
Do the rest of the fingers, apply top coat and then you're done! I also suggest "rotating" the three lines so that the drips don't look identical on each finger. I rushed a bit in this application so it's not as nice as my first one haha Also you might want to wait a bit if you used a lot of polish so that when you apply your top coat the polish won't smudge. Don't worry about imperfections, most people won't notice it!

Also, I saw a photo before where someone put a red dot at the tip of their finger so it looked like a cherry.

I hope this helped anyone who was thinking of trying out this look. There are lots of tutorials all over the internet for this specific look and it's very popular. Good luck to those trying it!

Till next time!

P.S I still have about 3 Paris posts coming up! =D

24 comments:

  1. Joe has stunning polish nails. This colors are amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I've seen this making its rounds in the interwebs and have wanted to do it forever! I love those pastel polishes you've used!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it! i'm going to try this!
    i love your yellow polish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg this is amazing Suki!
    This is so pro c: It looks
    like ice cream as well!
    This 'Joe' brand has nice
    colors!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these summer palette! And its popsicle inspired, how adorable dear. Your blog is so cute. Thank you for your lovely comments. Im your newest follower on GFC. Hope to keep in touch

    www.girllilikoi.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my, that looks yummy :D they look sweet, but do they taste sweet ;)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your DIY is so adorable and looks like it's easy to follow! Such a cute idea! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww! Love the nail look! And great tutorial :) I've completely butchered my nail at the moment. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love the sweet pastel colours and of course the "chocolate" makes everything so yummy. I'm like actually staring at your pastel chocolate nails for a good whole minute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ahhhh! LOL this is so adorable! and i love the pastel colors that you used. i'm definitely going to try this tutorial! ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is so cute! I never used to use pastel colours for my nails but lately I'm liking it more..

    can't wait for the rest of your Paris posts!! I'll miss them when you're done lol
    & thanks so much - I'm glad you read my blog! will try to write more for you from now on hahah ;]

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks so adorable! Thanks for the tutorial. It's a pity I can't paint my nails though due to work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks awesome. What a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg! i don't like the idea of aliens! but i never once thought of aliens when i had the glow in the dark jar. ohhhh but i did think of space when i decorated my house for the black light party. it was sooooo awesome :] i hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the pretty pastels! Too cute!

    ariarhapsody.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for the tutorial! and wow that looks so awesome! what a creative idea~ i love the pastel colors too!

    help us celebrate! join our 1 yr anniversary giveaway!

    alex @ carouselstreet.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. thx for the comment!
    wow I've never heard of that Mirror Lake in Bolivia before but I just saw photos & it looks amazing!!
    you should definitely go to China - you won't regret it! before I went for the first time I wasn't too excited to go..like it was never near the top of my list but I'm sooo glad I went. Now it's like my favourite place to travel (even more than Europe I think)
    lol yea I have another blog but it's been so neglected :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks so amazing, I will try this ^^

    Love from Emi

    http://emi-doll.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks adorable! Sadly my nails happened to be small from my little habit....
    ("-_-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your nails looks super cute Suki! :D I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. really intresting blog sweety. would u like to follow each other?
    kisses,
    http://www.keepitstylishandsexy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is so adorable and original suki! i could go for some ice cream right about now :P i can't wait for your paris posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooooooh I LIKE!! So pretty and sweet. Imma try this, but I need to first get some brown nail polish.

    I've gobbled up all the snacks from the giveaway parcel! hehehe and had some tea, too. Slowly going through the rest. Btw, not sure if I ever told you, but I love that little bag it came with. Haha the one that holds everything together. Thanks, again!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really like this look, it's so cute! Thanks for sharing it with us ~

    ReplyDelete

~I always enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to leave one~